We collect here on-line resources related to teaching and research on Neo-Confucianism. Please share any suggested additions with us, and see also this site’s page specifically on Teaching Neo-Confucianism.
- Hong Kong Society of Humanities (香港人文哲學會) page of Song-Ming Texts (網上宋明哲學經典) — the most complete on-line collection of Neo-Confucian era texts that we have found.
- Chinese Text Project — a terrific resource for all students of Chinese philosophy, though with fewer texts from the Neo-Confucian era.
- Now somewhat outdated, but the Wesleyan Chinese Philosophical Etext Archive can still be useful because many of its texts contain pagination corresponding to commonly used editions (including English translations), and it includes some important Neo-Confucian texts.
- For those with access through their institutions, the electronic Siku Quanshu (四庫全書) provides access to a huge range of Neo-Confucian texts.
- For traditional Chinese versions of Buddhist texts, the most widely used site is CBETA, which requires a subscription. The Hong Kong Society of Humanities offers free access to the most influential Buddhist texts in the Wei-Jin Period and the Sui and Tang dynasties, as well as traditional Chinese translations of important Indian Buddhist texts.
Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Chinese Ethics (section on Neo-Confucian theories)
- Epistemology in Chinese Philosophy (section on Buddhist and Neo-Confucian epistemology)
- Japanese Confucian Philosophy
- Metaphysics in Chinese Philosophy (section on coherence [li, Pattern] and vital energy [qi, vital stuff])
- Social and Political Thought in Chinese Philosophy (section on the Neo-Confucian era)
- Individual Philosophers: Wang Yangming | Zhu Xi
Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Neo-Confucian Philosophy
- Individual Philosophers: Cheng Hao | Cheng Yi | Dai Zhen | Wang Yangming | Zhang Zai | Zhou Dunyi | Zhu Xi
- Warp, Weft, and Way: A Group Blog for Chinese and Comparative Philosophy
- See in particular posts categorized as related to Neo-Confucianism
- PhilPapers listing for Chinese Neo-Confucianism
- Oxford Bibliographies “Philosophy” Entry on Neo-Confucianism by Stephen C. Angle
- Oxford Bibliographies “Chinese Studies” Entry on Neo-Confucianism by Robert Foster